Here is a list of recent IELTS questions that have been reported by students. You definitely don’t need to practice all of these, but it is a good idea to practice a couple of questions from each section. Another good idea is to make basic plans including your main ideas and examples. Of course, you can let me know if you can’t think of ideas for any questions, I will be happy to help 🙂
IELTS Opinion Essay Questions
1) The best way to deal with the rising problem of traffic and transportation is to encourage people to live in cities rather than in the suburbs or in the countryside. To what extent do you agree?
2) In the past, museums stored information about culture and history. However, nowadays this information can be found through the Internet, so there is no need for museums. Do you agree or disagree with this view?
3) Nowadays, the media focuses on problems and emergencies rather than positive developments. Some people think it is harmful to individuals and to society. To what extent do you agree?
4) Some people think parents should be forced to attend childcare course to learn how to take care of their children. Do you agree?
5) Some people believe that women should play an equal role as men in a country’s police force or military force, while others think women are not suitable for these kinds of jobs. What is your opinion?
6) Some people believe that if people are allowed to work after the age of 60, it would cause problems for younger people. To what extent do you agree?
7) Housing is essential for people. Some argue that the government should offer free housing for people who cannot afford it. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
8) Many employers are employing people with good social skills as well as good qualifications. Do you agree that good social skills are as important as good qualifications to succeed in a job?
9) Some people think that learning the language and culture of a country is essential when you live in a country for a long time. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
10) Some people believe that the radio is more enjoyable and practical than TV. Do you agree?
11) Some people think that government spending on the restoration of old buildings in cities should be stopped. They should spend the money for new housing and road development instead. To what extent do you agree?
12) Studies have shown that many criminals have a low level of education. For this reason, some people believe that the best way to reduce crime is to educate people in prison, so that they can get a job when they leave. Do you agree or disagree?
13) It is believed that children from countries with a high level of unemployment should be offered only primary education and should not be offered secondary education as it is unlikely they will get a job in the future anyway. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
14) It is a natural process that animal species such as dinosaurs become extinct. There is no reason for people to prevent this from happening. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
15) When a new town is planned, it is more important to develop public parks and sports facilities than shopping centres for people to spend their free time in. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
16) Some people think that manufacturers and shopping malls should sell products with less packaging, while others argue that people have the responsibility to buy products with less packaging. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
17) Some people think that economic growth is the only way to end world poverty and hunger. Others think that economic growth is causing damage to the environment and should be stopped now. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
18) Some people think that cultural traditions may be destroyed when they are used as money-making attractions aimed at tourists. Others believe it is the only way to save these traditions. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
19) Nowadays people make friends through social networks and internet chat groups. Some people like this idea. Others think that face-to-face interaction is essential. Discuss both views and give your opinion
20) Some parents think it is good to give their children mobile phones, while others disagree. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
21) Some people think that competitive sports should be included as a subject in school, while others believe that it has a negative effect on children. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
22) In some countries, secondary schools aim to provide a general education across a range of subjects. In others, children focus on a narrow range of subjects related to a particular career. Which do you think is appropriate in today’s world?
23) Due to advances in science, it is now possible for people to live to 100 years old or even longer. While some people think it is a good thing, others do not agree. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
24) Some people think that young people should spend their free time with their families instead of enjoying outside entertainment, others do not agree. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
25) Some people believe that it is important to give presents to friends and family to show that we care about them. Others think there are better ways to show that we care. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
26) Some people believe that to be successful at a sport you need a natural ability and others think that hard work and practice can make you successful. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
27) Some people think that technology has made people more social, while others think people have become less social. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
28) Some people think the government should spend money on faster public transportation, while others think there are other more important priorities of public transport. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
29) Scientists believe that finding other life forms in space by sending messages is a good idea, while others disagree. Discuss both views and give your opinion. 30) Some people think that people can be encouraged to take up sport through sporting events such as the Olympics. However, others think there are better ways to encourage adults to exercise. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
31) Some people believe that universities should only accept young students with high marks. Others believe that universities must accept students of all ages regardless of their previous grades. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
32) Some people think that zoos are cruel and all zoos should be closed. However, some people think zoos can help protect rare animals. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
33) The number of older people is increasing. Some people think it will cause problems in their countries, others believe this group is important to society. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Two Part Questions
34) Many grandparents play a big role in bringing up their grandchildren. Do you think it is useful for grandparents to be involved? Should they play the main role?
35) Ordinary people try to copy famous people either reading magazines or watching TV. Why do they do this? Do you think it is a good idea to copy famous people?
36) Nowadays the increasing amount of garbage is a real concern. Why is this happening? What can be done to resolve this?
37) These days many of us prefer to throw damaged things away, whereas in the past people used to repair damaged items and keep them for a long time. Why has this change happened? What are the effects of this change in attitude? 38) In many countries, the cost of living is on the rise. What effects do higher prices have on individuals and society? How can people deal with higher costs?
39) Experts say that if older people spend their time with others and exercise daily, they will be healthier and happier. However, many elderly people do not exercise and spend time alone. What are the reasons for this? How can this be resolved?
40) Nowadays, the quality of life of many people in big cities is getting worse. What are the causes of this problem? What measures could be taken to solve them?
41) Cultures all around the world have become more similar than they used to be. What are the reasons for this? Do you think it is a positive or negative development?
42) In some countries, the difference in age between parents and children is greater than in the past. Do you think the advantages of this development outweigh the disadvantages?
43) Food travels thousands of miles from farms to consumers. Some people believe we should buy food from local farmers to protect the environment and support local businesses. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?
44) More and more people are buying ready to eat food instead of cooking themselves. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
45) More and more people are using online language translations application. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this trend?
46) More and more parents are allowing their children to play on computers and tablets as they think that children should learn technology skills. Do the advantages of this development outweigh the disadvantages?
47) In many countries, some students live with their families while studying, but other students prefer to attend universities in other cities. Do the benefits of living away from home outweigh the disadvantages?
48) Many people buy new phones or laptops to keep up with the latest technology. Is this a good or a bad thing? Famous people sometimes give their opinions on public topics. Do you think this is a positive or negative development?
49) Some people believe that there will be a reduction in air travel in the future. Do you think that this is a positive or negative development?
50) The Internet and television are giving more opportunities for the average person to become famous. Is it a positive or negative development?
51) People can leave their views or opinions about certain goods or services they have purchased online. Is it a positive or negative development?
52) Fossil fuels such as coal, oil and natural gas are used in many countries. However, in some countries the use of alternative sources of energy has been encouraged. Is this a positive or negative development?
write topic 34, please
write topic 34, please
I’ll look to update the questions this week, but in reality the questions here are for between September and December.
Hello,Please will you please send me the ielts writing Task 2 essays Topics in Dec 2019?