Here is a list of the most recent IELTS writing task 2 questions which have been reported by students. I have divided the questions into different sections for opinion, discussion, two-part, advantages and disadvantages, and positive/negative. Please have a look at my model answers to see a recommended structure to answer each type of writing question.
IELTS Opinion Questions
IELTS Opinion Essay Band 9 Model Answer-Parenting Training Course
- Many people believe that the most important things in our life cannot be bought. Do you agree or disagree?
- In the future we may have to live on other planets. For this reason, some people think it is necessary to spend money on research about space. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people believe that cell phones have a negative effect on social lives. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some people think that in order to produce a happy society, it is necessary to ensure that there is only a small difference between the earnings of the richest and poorest. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- In recent years, television has contributed most to changing the quality of life of ordinary people. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some children find some particular school subjects difficult (for example maths or philosophy), so these subjects should be optional rather than compulsory. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- It is better if an extended family (for example, aunts, uncles, grandparents) are involved in a child’s upbringing than just parents alone. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some people think that the government should put a tax on unhealthy food to encourage people to eat more healthily. Do you agree or disagree?
- There are many benefits for young people who travel to other countries. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some believe that modern inventions have brought more problems than benefits. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some people believe that children should learn how to grow food and cook food at school. What is your opinion about this?
- Some educators believe that international school exchange visits are important for teenage children. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- The international community must act immediately to ensure that all countries reduce their consumption of fossil fuels, such as gas and oil. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people believe that there should be a law which prevents young people under the age of 18 being outside after midnight. Do you agree or disagree?
- Spoken communication is always more powerful than written communication. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Scientific research should be funded by governments rather than commercial organisations. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people argue that school is no longer necessary because children can obtain all of the information they need from the Internet. To what extent do you agree or disagree
IELTS Discussion Questions
- Some people prefer one-on-one lessons, while others prefer group lessons. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people believe that learning science is necessary for everyone, while others disagree. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people think that international news should be studied as a subject in secondary school. However, others believe that it would be a waste of valuable school time. Discuss both views and give your opinion
- Some people prefer to relax by doing physical activities, while others choose mental activities (crosswords, chess etc,) Discuss both views and give your opinion
- Some people think that music plays an important role in society. Others think it is simply a form of entertainment. Discuss both sides and give your opinion
- Some people think that it is good to have people with extremely high salaries in a country, while others think the government should try to limit it. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people think the best way to stay fit is by joining a gym, while others think doing everyday activities such as walking is sufficient. Discuss both views and give your opinion
- Some people believe that the government should financially support retired people. Others feel that those who have retired should pay to support themselves. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
- Some people believe that it is best to do the same type of work throughout your life. Others feel that it is beneficial to change jobs often. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people think that it is good for younger people to make their own decisions. Others feel that these decisions should be made with the help of their parents. Discuss both sides and give your own opinion.
- Adults today do not do enough exercise. Some people believe that showing major sports events like the Olympics or the Football World Cup on television encourages people to exercise. Others argue that there are better ways to encourage adults to move more. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people believe that some individuals are born with leadership skills, while others think that individuals can improve those skills. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people think that schools should give prizes for academic successes. Others argue that it is more important for schools to give prizes for other achievements (for example, for sports, music and behaviour). Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Some people believe that children should be involved in educational activities in their free time. Others argue that this puts too much academic pressure on a child. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people believe that all company decisions should be made by managers. Others feel that it is better to include employees when making decisions. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some believe that charitable organisations should help people no matter where they live. Others argue that charities should only help those living in the country where the charity is based. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people believe that it is important to spend time developing a successful career. Others argue that it is more important to spend time with friends and family than at work. Discuss both views and give your opinion
- In some cultures, older people are valued most highly. In other cultures, youth is valued more than experience. Discuss both views and give your opinion as to which age should be most valued.
- Some people believe that having interviews is the best way to find new employees for a company. Others say that there are better alternative ways to appoint employees. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
IELTS Two Part Questions
IELTS Two Part Question-Band 9 Essay
- In many countries small shops are closing. Why is this happening? Is it a positive or negative development?
- In some countries, the government pays unemployed people on a weekly basis. How does this impact individuals and the government? Do you agree or disagree with this idea?
- Some parents do not spend much free time with their children. Why is this? What effects does this have on children and parents?
- Many students around the world are not choosing science subjects at university. What are the reasons for this? What effects will this have on society?
- Some people who leave school are more successful compared to those who complete their studies. Why are these people successful? Should school be compulsory for everyone?
- Some people say watching TV programmes and movies on crimes is becoming more popular. Why is it more popular now? What are the effects on individuals and society?
- Teenagers face a lot of difficulties at home and at school. Why are they facing these problems? What can be done to solve them?
- Some people think that it is good to be very ambitious. What are the reasons for this? Is it positive or negative to be too ambitious?
- Throughout history, people have dreamed of living in a perfect society but nobody has agreed on what an ideal society would look like. What do you think is the most important element needed to make a society perfect? How can the ideal society be achieved?
- Despite the environmental concerns raised by scientists, people are still not changing their lifestyles. Why is this? What can be done to encourage people to protect the environment more?
- Nowadays many celebrities receive higher salaries than senior politicians. Why is this? Do you think this is a positive or negative development?
- People today rarely interact with their neighbours, and this is having a harmful effect on local communities. What are the possible causes of this trend? What can be done to address it?
- Many people depend on cars in their day-to-day life (for example, to drive to work). However, unrestricted car use has led to a number of problems. What are these problems? Should individuals be discouraged from using cars in order to reduce them?
- Nowadays, people are not as fit and active as they used to be in the past which creates health issues in the long-run. Why do you think this is? What measures can be taken to solve this problem?
- The amount of violence in computer games, TV programmes and other leisure activities has increased and, as a result, parents are worried about the effect this is having on their children. How harmful is this development? What can be done to address this situation?
- The world of work is changing rapidly and people cannot depend on having the same job or the same working conditions for life. What are the possible causes of this rapid change? How can people prepare for work in the future?
- Many people are choosing to move to cities. Why is this happening? Do the advantages of this trend outweigh the disadvantages?
IELTS Advantages/Disadvantages Questions
IELTS Band 9-Advantages and Disadvantages Essay-Tourism
- In some countries, criminal trials are shown to the public on television. Do the advantages of this trend outweigh the disadvantages?
- Nowadays, when people have to travel abroad for work, many take their family members with them on the business trip. What are the advantages and disadvantages for the individual and his or her family members who travel together?
- In today’s world, it is private companies rather than governments who pay for and carry out most scientific research. Do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
- New houses are often designed to have open private spaces like a balcony or garden. Do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages in this approach?
- Some people believe that teaching children at home is best for a child’s development while others think that it is important for children to go to school. Discuss the advantages of both methods and give your own opinion.
- In some countries, most people prefer to rent their home rather than buying them. What are the advantages and disadvantages of renting a home?
- The development of tourism contributed to English becoming the most prominent language in the world. Some people think this will lead to English becoming the only language to be spoken globally. What are the advantages and disadvantages to having one language in the world?
- The rise of convenience foods has helped people keep up the speed of the modern lifestyle. What are the advantages of this trend? Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
IELTS Positive/Negative Questions
- In the modern world, it is possible to shop, work, and communicate online without any face-to-face contact with other people. Is this a positive or negative development?
- Some local languages are becoming extinct. Do you think this is a positive or negative development?
- Many university students have part-time jobs while they study. Is this a good or a bad thing?
- Nowadays people have many consumer goods in their home (such as a refrigerator or washing machine). Is this trend a positive or negative development?
- Most children have to complete homework when they are at school. Is this a good or a bad thing?
- In some countries, young people leave home as soon as they finish school. Is this a good or a bad thing?
- In the past, people wore clothes that were unique to their own culture. Today, people all over the world wear the same types of clothes. Is this trend a positive or negative development?