This is a list of recently reported questions for the IELTS exam. You should always remember to practice with realistic questions and to check your writing periodically with a specialised IELTS teacher. If you would like me to check your writing, follow the link above to find out more about my writing correction service. 🙂
1. The city library is going to be replaced by a supermarket. Write a letter to your city council:
1) State how you heard about it
2) Explain the disadvantages of building supermarket
3) Describe why the library is important.
2. Your friend is visiting your city and has asked for advice about where to go for a family celebration
Write a letter explaining:
1) Explain where the restaurant is 2) Describe why it would be suitable for the family celebration. 3) Give a suggestion for another activity to do while in your city.
3. Write a letter to the local council to stop the closure of a children’s playground.
1) State how you heard about the plan to close the playground.
2) Describe why the playground is important.
3) Explain how the playground could be saved
4. Write a letter to your boss to recommend someone to work in your company.
1) State who the person is and how do you know them
2) Summarise their working experience.
3) Explain why they would be suitable for the company.
5. Write a letter to your friend regarding a watch that you recently left at their house.
1) Describe the watch
2) Explain where you left it
3) Suggest how they could send it back to you.
6. Write a letter to apply for a part time job at a restaurant.
1) State where you read about the job
2) Describe your previous work experience
3) Explain when you could start and which days you could work.
7) You want to study at a university abroad and have some questions about it. Write a letter to the admissions officer
1) Describe which course you would like to do
2) Give information about your education
3) Explain why it is important to get admission to this course
8) You recently travelled on a train which arrived very late and this caused you a lot of problems. Write a letter to the train company and include the following points.
1) Describe details about the journey
2) Explain the problems you faced because of the delay
3) Suggest what you would like the company to do
9) Write a letter to your friend who is visiting your apartment while you are on holiday.
1) Describe where the keys are
2) Give instructions about how to take care of the house.
3) Explain what you would like them to do on their final day.
10) A local newspaper is having a competition to award people who have done good things for your local community. Write a letter to the editor with the following information.
1) Who is the person who deserves the award 2) Explain how you know this person. 3) Describe what he/she has done for the local community.
11) Your local council is considering closing a sports and leisure centre that it runs, in order to save money.
Write a letter to the local council. In your letter
give details of how you and your friends or family use the centre
explain why the centre is important for the local community
describe the possible effects on local people if the centre close
1) Full-time students need to study a lot, but they have to do other activities too. To what extent do you agree?
2) The best way to motivate people to be more productive is paying them according to their sales or production. Do you agree or disagree?
3) Some people think that team sports prepare children for work life. To what extent to do you agree?
4) Some people believe that it is necessary to learn a second language to a high level to live in the country in which that language is spoken. What is your opinion about this?
5) International travel has become more affordable and many countries are opening their doors to increase the number of tourists. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this?
6) Some people prefer news from the TV, while others believe there are better platforms for learning about the news. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
7) Many people think that money causes happiness. What importance does money have regarding happiness?
8) In some countries more and more shops are open for longer hours every day. What are the positive and negative effects of this situation?
9) Many companies use advertisements to increase sales. What are the main factors that make an advertisement effective? Is advertising a good or bad thing for society?
10) Some people think that the development of technology has helped to decrease crime, while other people think that it encourages crime. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
11) Governments should increase the cost of fuel for cars and other vehicles to solve environmental problems. To what extent do you agree?
12) In many countries, young people enjoy shopping as a leisure activity. Why do you think this happens? Is it a positive or negative development?
13) Some people think that studying in groups is better, while other people believe that self study is better for school students. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
14) Some people think that young people should follow older people’s example, while other people believe that it is good for them to challenge older people’s opinion. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
15) Some people think that if a country is already rich any addition in economic wealth does not make its citizens happier. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
16) In recent years children have been given more freedom than in the past. Do you think this is a positive or negative development?
17) People are buying more technological devices than before. Do you think this is a positive or negative development?
18) In many countries the number of visitors to art galleries has been steadily declining. What are the reasons for this? What could be done to improve the situation?
19) Many students do part time jobs during their studies. Do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
20) Nowadays in many countries, women and men are working full time. It is therefore logical for women and men to share household duties. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
21) Many people believe that libraries are a waste of money and computers could be used to replace them, while other people think libraries are essential. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
22) Nowadays people from specific countries and all ages spend a large amount of time at their homes rather than going outdoors. What are the reasons? Is it a negative or positive development?
23) Some people think that money is the best gift for teenagers, while other people disagree. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
24) Nowadays some parents put a lot of pressure on their children to be successful. What are the reasons for this? Is it a positive or negative development?
25) In some countries, people follow the latest fashion trends and hairstyles. What are the reasons for this? Is it a positive or negative development?
26) In many countries, people have health issues because they are living in unhealthy ways. What do you think are the reasons for this? How can it be solved?
27) The eating habits of people are changing due to globalisation. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this development?
28) Some people think that books should no longer be used in school and videos, films and computers should be used instead. To what extent do you agree?