International travel has become more affordable and many countries are opening their doors to increase the number of tourists. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this?
Many countries are receiving increasing numbers of tourists because of the affordability of travelling abroad. This essay will analyse the benefits and drawbacks of this issue.
The main downside of tourism is the environmental impact particularly on areas of natural beauty. Many tourists are drawn to the most stunning areas of a country, however, they rarely consider the long-term effects of their visit and contribute to environmental pollution. One of the most well-known examples of this phenomenon is the Great Barrier Reef which is slowly being destroyed due to tourists touching the corals. Another downside related to the development of tourism is inflated prices in tourist hotspots, which can make it unaffordable for locals to live there. This issue is more serious in developing countries where the local restaurants often raise their prices to account for the higher purchasing power of tourists.
Despite the issues associated with tourism, there are plenty of upsides including from a financial and cultural perspective. Regarding the economy, tourists provide an economic boost to regions by spending huge amounts of money and providing jobs for local people. To illustrate this point, the tourism industry in Thailand accounts for almost 20% of their GDP and without this industry, their economic development would suffer.. From a cultural perspective, people visiting other countries has the potential to reduce racism and develop a deeper understanding of other cultures. If travellers spend more time learning about different religions or customs, they may well improve their tolerance and understanding which is crucial in creating harmony in the world.
To sum up, the rise of tourism has contributed to certain environmental and financial issues for popular destinations. Conversely, there are potentially significant economic benefits for host countries and the opportunity to develop a more harmonious world. Tourism is inevitable therefore tourist destinations should aim to enhance the positives and reduce the detrimental effects.
1) There are a few different types of advantage and disadvantage questions. This particular one only asks for the advantages and disadvantages. Others ask for an opinion or whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Each version requires a slightly different strategy.
I’ll write an articles about this soon, but to summarise just follow the instructions of the question.
2) Look at the way advantages and disadvantages have been paraphrased.
3) Give specific examples to demonstrate your points.
4) The question asks for advantages (plural) and disadvantages (plural). My best advice is to give 2 of each. If you give more than 2, it can easily turn into a list, which will lower your task achievement score.
5) Conclude with a summary of your ideas and possibly a recommendation.